National Commercial Bank Jamaica Limited
The National Commercial Bank Jamaica Limited has roots dating back to 1837, when it began operations under the name of the Colonial Bank of London (England). From one branch at Harbour Street, Kingston, the bank grew to 11 branches across the island by 1925. In 1925, the Colonial Bank together with two other banks, were acquired by Barclays Bank of London. The new organization was incorporated as Barclays Bank (Dominion Colonial and Overseas), which later became Barclays Bank D.C.O.
In 1975, Barclays Bank D.C.O. (through its successor company, Barclays Bank International Limited), transferred its Jamaican operation to a wholly owned subsidiary, Barclays Bank of Jamaica Limited.
August 1977, saw the Jamaican Government acquiring all the shares of Barclays Bank of Jamaica Limited and changing its name to National Commercial Bank Jamaica Limited (NCB). At that time, NCB had the second largest banking operation in the island with total assets of more that $236 million. Since 1978, NCB has had a strong record of growth and profitability. April 24, 1981 heralded the launching of the first Jamaican credit card "Keycard" and in 1983, NCB became the first Jamaican bank to have deposits in excess of $1.0 billion with assets then exceeding $1.3 billion.
NCB became part of the Portland group of companies following the acquisition of a majority interest in March 2002.